This course covers protection and control principles of utility distribution substations and feeder protection which includes fuses, intelligent electronic devices (IEDs) relays, and old-school time-overcurrent relays.
Feeder relays and apparatus are examined including reclosers. Power transformer protection is reviewed and it includes the cases of (1) currents mismatch caused by difference in current transformer (CT) ratios; (2) Delta-Wye transformation and currents shifts; (3) Mismatch induced by Load Tap-Changers; (4) CT saturation and remanence and (5) Inrush phenomena and harmonic content problems.
- Per Phase Analysis
- Substation Protection
- A Protection Coordination Problem
- Surge Protective Equipment
- Transformer Protection
- The Final Exam With 17 Questions
Who Is This Course For
Electrical Engineers, Technologist, Technicians, Students.
A solid background in electrical circuitry.
Downloadable course materials
After purchasing the course, students can download the following documents:
- Primary-side protection of distribution substation transformers (PDF)
- Reactive power control in distribution substations (design and economics) (PDF)
- Design of an improved distribution substation in the city of Ethiopia (PDF)
- Design guidelines for substation and power distribution systems of buildings (PDF)
- Fault current selection for a circuit breaker from a substation layout (PDF)
- The basic power substation theory for students (PDF)
- Design process for the new primary substation (structure selection and calculations) (PDF)
- A practical handbook for substation operation & maintenance engineers (PDF)
- Design overview and analysis of 11-0.415 kV, 500 kVA power substation in Nigeria (PDF)
- Voltage-and-Current-Measurement-in-Modern-High-Voltage-Substations (PDF)