Symmetrical Components Technique for Power System Protection and Control Engineers

Learn how to use symmetrical components - a very important mathematical technique used in power system protection and control for the easier analysis of power system faults. 25 lectures in 2h 48m total course length.

Course Description

This course is dedicated to power system protection and control engineers. As you should already know, proper protection and control of a power system ensures reliable continuous operation and is, therefore, an essential area of power engineering.

In this course, you will learn about symmetrical components, which is a very important mathematical technique used in power system protection and control for the easier analysis of power system faults.

The course is divided into the following sections:

1. Course Introduction

2. Phasors and Polarity: In this section, we will begin by discussing phasors and polarity since these are two key concepts to understand prior to diving deep into the symmetrical components technique for analyzing faults. We will also be discussing the concepts of phase rotation in power systems and directionality as it relates to protective relaying.

3. Symmetrical Components: In section 2, we will discuss symmetrical components in great detail. Since faults are often unbalanced, the concept of symmetrical components, which simplifies the analysis of unbalanced faults, is key for power system protection and control.

We will thoroughly discuss symmetrical components and their use in power system protection and control and will end the section with several examples to aid our understanding.

By understanding how to use the Symmetrical components technique, you will be able to work on all the fundamentals of power system protection and control and to continue your study of power systems for a career in power engineering and electrical engineering.

Course Summary

1. Course introduction
  2. Phasors and Polarity in Power System Protection
  3. Symmetrical Components

Who Is This Course For

• Practicing power system engineers
  • Electrical engineering students planning on pursuing a career in power engineering
  • Power System Protection Engineers

Requirements

• Understanding of power system analysis

Downloadable course materials

After purchasing the course, students can download the following documents:

1. MV Feeder Short-circuit Protection (PDF)
  2. Practical guidance to the calculation of prospective short-circuit currents on T-D systems (PDF)
  3. Transformer Short-Circuit Current Calculation and Reinforcement Solutions (PDF)
  4. Short-circuit calculations of the electric power system in a nuclear power plant (PDF)
  5. Short circuit current calculation at various points of electrical circuits (Isc) (XLS)
  6. A really simple approach to short circuit calculations for electrical engineers (PDF)
  7. Calculation and prevention of short circuit currents in high voltage grids (PDF)
  8. Symmetrical component study of earth faults in power transformers in parallel (PDF)
  9. Symmetrical components theoretical and real-world examples for relay engineers (PDF)
  10. Modeling and analysis of external balanced and unbalanced faults (symmetrical components) (PDF)

About Instructor

Ricardo Romero, PE

Hi, my name is Ricardo Romero and I am an Electrical Engineer with over ten years of experience in Power Systems. I obtained my Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Electrical Engineering from The University of North Carolina at Charlotte. I am also a licensed Professional Engineer in Power Systems in the states of Arizona, Louisiana, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Virginia in the United States. Although my professional experience is mainly in Power Systems, I am also passionate about other topics in Electrical Engineering including Analog Electronics, Control Systems, Digital Design, Digital Signal Processing, Electric Machinery, and Power Electronics.

13 Courses

+44 enrolled
Not Enrolled

Course Includes

• 3 Lessons
  • 25 Topics
  • Course Certificate
  • Lifetime Access