Power System Analysis Course: The Essentials of Load Flow and Short Circuits

Learn about power flow analysis and short circuit analysis of balanced and unbalanced faults to further your career in electrical and power engineering. Examples are solved to illustrate how to analyze real-world power systems. 4 sections, 37 lectures in 5h 48m total course length.

Course Description

This course is dedicated to one of the main areas of electrical engineering: power system analysis. Power system analysis is the core of power engineering and its understanding is therefore essential for a career in this field. In this course, you will learn about power flow (load flow) analysis and short circuit analysis and their use in power systems.

The course consists of 37 lectures in 5h 48m total length., and it’s divided into the following sections:

1. Power Flow (Load Flow) Analysis

In section 1, we will introduce the concept of power flow. Also referred to as load flow, power flow is the analysis of how apparent, real, and reactive power flows between parts of a power system, from generation to the loads.

Two different methods will be covered, which are the most widely used methods in power system analysis: the Gauss-Seidel method and the Newton-Raphson method. Several examples will be solved to help explain how these methods are used for power flow analysis.

2. Short Circuit Analysis of Balanced Faults

In section 2, we will introduce short circuits. Also referred to as faults, short circuits are undesired occurrences in power systems when conductors are shorted between each other, to ground, or a combination of these. This is the basis for the field of protection and control which is widely important for the safe and reliable operation of power systems.

To introduce how short circuits (faults) affect power systems, we will begin by discussing balanced (i.e., three-phase) short circuits. We will also introduce the concept of the short circuit capacity and the bus impedance matrix.

3. Short Circuit Analysis of Unbalanced Faults

In section 3, we will continue discussing short circuits (faults), but will discuss the more complex analysis of unbalanced faults (e.g., single-line-to-ground, line-to-line, and line-to-line-to-ground faults). To do this, we will introduce the technique of symmetrical components, which allows us to analyze unbalanced power systems more easily.

In each section, several examples are solved to illustrate how to analyze real-world power systems.

By learning about power flow analysis and short circuit analysis and how they are used in power systems, you will be able to continue your study of power system analysis for a career in power engineering and electrical engineering.

Course Overview

• Power flow (load flow) analysis
  • Short circuit analysis of balanced and unbalanced faults
  • Advanced concepts in Power Engineering
  • Calculate the bus admittance matrix of a power system
  • Symmetrical Components

Who Is This Course For

• Anybody with an interest in learning about power systems and power engineering

Requirements

• Basic knowledge of AC circuits
  • Prior knowledge of circuit analysis

Downloadable course documents

After purchasing the course, students can download the following documents:

1. Medium voltage networks – Load flow calculation and network planning (PDF)
  2. Load flow analysis of 138/69 kV substation using ETAP - Electrical Transient & Analysis Program (PDF)
  3. Effects of imbalances and non-linear loads in electricity distribution system (PDF)

Course Content

Expand All

About Instructor

Ricardo Romero, PE

Hi, my name is Ricardo Romero and I am an Electrical Engineer with over ten years of experience in Power Systems. I obtained my Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Electrical Engineering from The University of North Carolina at Charlotte. I am also a licensed Professional Engineer in Power Systems in the states of Arizona, Louisiana, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Virginia in the United States. Although my professional experience is mainly in Power Systems, I am also passionate about other topics in Electrical Engineering including Analog Electronics, Control Systems, Digital Design, Digital Signal Processing, Electric Machinery, and Power Electronics.

13 Courses

+194 enrolled
Not Enrolled

Course Includes

• 4 Lessons
  • 37 Topics
  • Course Certificate
  • Lifetime Access