Power Engineering Course: Power System Stability

Learn about steady-state and transient stability of power systems and their importance in the safe and reliable operation of power systems.

Course Overview

This course is about one of the main areas of electrical engineering: power system analysis. Power system analysis is the core of power engineering and its understanding is therefore essential for a career in this field.

In this course, you will learn about the steady-state and transient stability of power systems and their importance in the safe and reliable operation of power systems.

The course is divided into the following sections:

1. Introduction to Power System Stability:

In section 1, we will introduce the concept of power system stability at a high level. We will begin by defining steady-state and transient stability and discussing the differences between them. We will also introduce important fundamental concepts, such as the swing equation and the power angle curve.

2. Steady-State Stability

In the second section, we will thoroughly discuss steady-state stability. Steady-state stability is the ability of a power system to remain stable after a small disturbance in the system occurs. These small disturbances can be normal operating occurrences, such as load changes in the system and it is therefore critical that a power system is able to withstand these small changes and remain stable.

We will discuss several key concepts, such as the synchronizing power, damping ration, damping power, among others, to aid our understanding of steady-state stability.

In each section, several examples are solved to illustrate how to analyze real-world power systems. By learning about steady-state stability and its importance in power systems, you will be able to continue your study of power system analysis for a career in power engineering and electrical engineering.

Course Content

1. Power System Stability Concepts
  2. Transient Stability
  3. Advanced concepts in Power Engineering
  4. Steady-State Stability
  5. The Swing Equation

Who Is This Course For

• Anybody with an interest in learning about power systems and power engineering

Requirements

• Basic knowledge of AC circuits
  • Prior knowledge of circuit analysis
  • Prior knowledge of power systems

Downloadable course documents

After purchasing the course, students can download the following documents:

• Power System Stability Lesson (pdf)

About Instructor

Ricardo Romero, PE

Hi, my name is Ricardo Romero and I am an Electrical Engineer with over ten years of experience in Power Systems. I obtained my Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Electrical Engineering from The University of North Carolina at Charlotte. I am also a licensed Professional Engineer in Power Systems in the states of Arizona, Louisiana, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Virginia in the United States. Although my professional experience is mainly in Power Systems, I am also passionate about other topics in Electrical Engineering including Analog Electronics, Control Systems, Digital Design, Digital Signal Processing, Electric Machinery, and Power Electronics.

13 Courses

+110 enrolled
Not Enrolled

Course Includes

• 3 Lessons
  • 16 Topics
  • Course Certificate
  • Lifetime Access