Fundamentals of Power System Analysis: Single-Phase and Three-Phase Circuits

Learn the fundamentals of power system analysis: power analysis of single- and three-phase AC circuits, power triangle, complex power, and power flow, delta or wye connected loads and per-phase analysis of balanced loads. The course consists of 20 lectures in 2h 51m total length.

Course Overview

This course is dedicated to one of the most important areas of electrical engineering: power system analysis. Power system analysis is the core of power engineering and its understanding is therefore essential for a career in this field. In this course, you will learn the fundamentals of power system analysis.

The course consists of 20 lectures in 2h 51m total length and it’s divided into the following sections:

Power in Single-Phase AC Circuits:

In section 1, we will start discussing the analysis of power systems, starting from power analysis in single-phase circuits. We will also be discussing the power triangle, complex power, and power flow, which are all key concepts needed to understand more complex topics in power system analysis. We will finish the section with a practice test (includes detailed solutions).

Power in Three-Phase AC Circuits:

Section 2 is where we get to the core of a power system analysis, i.e., three-phase circuits. We will discuss the types of arrangements of power system loads (e.g., delta or wye connected loads) and will introduce the concept of per-phase analysis of balanced loads. We will finish the section with a practice test (includes detailed solutions).

In each section, several examples are solved to illustrate how to analyze real-world power systems. By learning all the fundamentals of power system analysis, you will be able to continue your study of power system analysis for a career in power engineering and electrical engineering.

See you in the course!

Course Overview

• The types and connections of power system loads
  • Three-phase power analysis
  • Fundamentals of Power Engineering
  • The power triangle, complex power, and complex power flow
  • Use of per-phase analysis of balanced three-phase systems

Who Is This Course For

• Anybody with an interest in learning about power systems and power engineering

Requirements

• Basic knowledge of AC circuits
  • Prior knowledge of circuit analysis

Downloadable course documents

After purchasing the course, students can download the following documents:

• Course Exam with Solutions (PDF)

About Instructor

Ricardo Romero, PE

Hi, my name is Ricardo Romero and I am an Electrical Engineer with over ten years of experience in Power Systems. I obtained my Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Electrical Engineering from The University of North Carolina at Charlotte. I am also a licensed Professional Engineer in Power Systems in the states of Arizona, Louisiana, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Virginia in the United States. Although my professional experience is mainly in Power Systems, I am also passionate about other topics in Electrical Engineering including Analog Electronics, Control Systems, Digital Design, Digital Signal Processing, Electric Machinery, and Power Electronics.

13 Courses

+107 enrolled
Not Enrolled

Course Includes

• 3 Lessons
  • 19 Topics
  • 2 Quizzes