MATLAB/Simulink for Analog and Digital Electronics

Learn how to simulate any analog or digital electronics device in MATLAB/Simulink, including active low-pass & high-pass filters, audio equalizers, inverting & non-inverting amplifiers, analog-to-digital converters (ADCs), and digital-to-analog converters (DACs). 5 sections, 34 lectures in 6h 18m total length.

Course description

This course will teach you how to simulate any analog or digital electronics device in MATLAB/Simulink, including active low-pass filters, active high-pass filters, audio equalizers, inverting amplifiers, non-inverting amplifiers, analog-to-digital converters (ADCs), and digital-to-analog converters (DACs). This course not only gives a review of the theory of how amplifiers, filters, ADCs, and DACs work but also gives several examples of how to simulate these devices using MATLAB/Simulink.

The MATLAB/Simulink models for the analog electronics and digital electronics devices created during the lectures are available for download with each lecture.

The course is divided into the following sections:

1. Introduction to MATLAB/Simulink for Analog/Digital Electronics

In this section, we will begin by reviewing the passive and active components commonly used in electronics. We will then install MATLAB/Simulink’s free trial version and will discuss how to find components in the library browser, how to add them to models, and how to build the models and run simulations.

2. Analog Electronics Simulations in MATLAB/Simulink

In section 2 of the course, we will be focusing on the simulation of analog electronics. We’ll start by reviewing the theory of inverting and non-inverting amplifiers using op-amps and will be simulating these circuits. We will then review low-pass and high-pass filters and will be simulating these circuits. We will end the section with two projects. In the first project, we will design an audio equalizer.

In the second project, we will be designing a full-wave rectifier circuit commonly used in power supplies.

3. Digital Electronics Simulations in MATLAB/Simulink

In section 3 of the course, we will be focusing on the simulation of digital electronics. We will begin by reviewing how analog-to-digital converters (ADCs) work and will then simulate these devices. After this, we will also review the theory and simulate digital-to-analog converters (DACs). We will also be building and simulating combinational and sequential digital circuits.

We will work on two projects, one for each type of circuit. In the combinational circuits project, we will be building a circuit that detects a combination of three consecutive logic 1s in a string of eight bits. In the sequential circuits project, we will be designing a garage door opener.

In each section, we will go over several models to illustrate how we can design and simulate electronics devices in MATLAB/Simulink. The models are also available for download so that you can follow along, as well as use these models and modify them to create your own designs.

By learning how to simulate analog electronics and digital electronics devices in MATLAB/Simulink, you will be able to further your career in electrical engineering and electronics design.

Who Is This Course For

• Engineering students
  • Practicing engineers
  • Anybody with an interest in learning about electronics and/or MATLAB/Simulink

Requirements

• A desire to learn.
  • MATLAB/Simulink software, free trial available online

Downloadable course materials

After purchasing the course, students can download the following materials:

1. Example_Electronics_Circuit.zip
  2. Inverting_Amplifier_Model.zip
  3. Noninverting_Amplifier_Model.zip
  4. Lowpass_Passive_Filter_Model.zip
  5. Lowpass_Active_Filter_Model.zip
  6. Highpass_Passive_Filter_Model.zip
  7. Highpass_Active_Filter_Model.zip
  8. Bandpass_Active_Filter_Model.zip
  9. Audio_Equalizer_Model.zip
  10. Full_Wave_Rectifier_Model.zip
  11. ADC_Model.zip
  12. DAC_Model.zip
  13. Project_Three_1s_Pattern.zip
  14. Project_Garage_Door_Opener.zip

Course Content

Expand All

About Instructor

Ricardo Romero, PE

Hi, my name is Ricardo Romero and I am an Electrical Engineer with over ten years of experience in Power Systems. I obtained my Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Electrical Engineering from The University of North Carolina at Charlotte. I am also a licensed Professional Engineer in Power Systems in the states of Arizona, Louisiana, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Virginia in the United States. Although my professional experience is mainly in Power Systems, I am also passionate about other topics in Electrical Engineering including Analog Electronics, Control Systems, Digital Design, Digital Signal Processing, Electric Machinery, and Power Electronics.

13 Courses

+3 enrolled
Not Enrolled

Course Includes

• 4 Lessons
  • 36 Topics
  • Course Certificate
  • Lifetime Access