Low Voltage Distribution Design Course: AutoCAD, DIALux, Excel, Calculations

Learn to design low voltage distribution systems using AutoCAD and Dialux (power distribution, lighting, voltage drop, earthing and other calculations). 62 lectures in 10h total course length.

Course Introduction

This course is dedicated to students who are looking to acquire electrical low voltage power design experience from scratch. In fact, this course covers low voltage distribution system design-related topics in a total duration of 10 hours.

Essentially, the course begins Section 1 by introducing the well-known drawing software “AutoCAD”, by emphasizing its different toolbar options for the purpose of preparing the student to be familiar with its use. Consequently, lighting design and lux calculations using DIALux software are fully explained in Section 2 for the aim of preparing for the lighting distribution system that will be explained and designed as the following step in Section 3.

Thereafter, lighting & power systems distribution is covered in Sections 3 & 4, which in turn prepares the student to understand how to gather information and calculate the total connected loads in accordance with the lighting and power designed layouts to be reflected in the panel schedules and single line diagrams which will be explained in the 5th section of this course.

Once reaching this stage of the course, you will have to perform a range of low voltage system-related calculations of sizing Transformers, Generators, Cables, Circuit Breakers, calculations of voltage drop and short circuit current levels, and power factor correction to ensure a safe design for the entire system for the aim of reflecting the calculated values in the single line diagram of the project.

All these calculations will be explained separately in detail using simple steps that you will be able to apply manually and with the help of predefined Excel sheets for solving different formulas in Section 6.

The last Section 7 of this course covers the earthing and lightning system topics emphasizing their different types, components and the appropriate methods to design these systems in accordance with international standards.

Furthermore, design topics in this course are explained in accordance with explored pictures of different electrical equipment that are installed on the site for the purpose of clarifying the bond between the design and real site installations. Besides, the course is enhanced with a variety of helpful resources that are attached to it (XLSX, DOC, DWG, and PDF).

Course Content

1. Electrical Design in AutoCAD
  2. Lighting and Power Distribution Design
  3. Solving several Electrical Low Voltage Related Equations Manually and By Using Excel Sheets
  4. Gathering of the precise information needed from other engineering departments
  5. Lighting Design in DiaLux
  6. Defining Engineering Formulas in Excel Sheets
  7. Coordinating with other teams when designing an electrical system
  8. Design of Earthing and Lightning Systems
  9. Certificate of Completion

Who Is This Course For

• Electrical Engineers
  • Electrical Draughtsmen
  • Electrical Designers
  • Electrical Fresh Graduates
  • Technicians

Requirements

• Have a basic Electrical Engineering knowledge

Downloadable course materials

After purchasing the course, students can download dozen of:

• AutoCAD drawings (.dwg) of lighting, power distribution, lightning plan, symbols, etc.
  • Electrical calculation tools in MS Excel Spreadsheet (.xlsx)
  • Electrical equipment catalogues (circuit breakers, lighting, earthing, etc.)

Course Content

Expand All

About Instructor

Mohammed Ayman

I earned my degree from Eastern Mediterranean University (Turkey, North Cyprus) in B.S. Electrical & Electronic Engineering; shortly after, I began my career as an electrical site engineer in a mega-scale project in Qatar, which allowed me to monitor and supervise electrical site installations. Following that, I indulged in the design field of electrical low-voltage distribution systems and have accomplished more than ten projects in compliance with the national codes & international standards. ● Holding ABET Accreditation. ● Registered and accredited by the Engineering & Consulting Committee in Qatar. ● Accredited by Engineers Australia as a Professional Engineer.

3 Courses

+290 enrolled
Not Enrolled

Course Includes

• 7 Lessons
  • 62 Topics
  • Course Certificate
  • Lifetime Access