Premium Membership ♕

Learn from experienced engineers and study specialized technical articles, guides & courses. Save 50% on courses with the Enterprise Plan.

Home / Technical Articles / Electrical Certificates

In accordance with the wiring regulations

There is often confusion about what is commonly referred to as an “Electrical Certificate”. There are essentially 3 types of documents or certificates. Each imply different type of certification.

  1. Electrical Installation Certificate” (EIC) is the declaration of conformity from the installing contractor that the new electrical work described has been installed in accordance with the wiring regulations in force at the time of installation. It includes circuit charts and records test results taken prior to commissioning. An EIC cannot be issued by anyone other that the installing contractor and will include a date for re-inspection and testing.
    Variants of this certificate include:

    • “Minor Works Certificate” for installation work not requiring a new circuit from the distribution board.
    • “Domestic Installation Certificate” a reduced EIC tailored specifically for dwellings.

    An Electrical Installation Certificate will be issued for all Installation work carried out by contractor.

  2. Periodic Inspection Report” (PIR) for an electrical Installation is similar in appearance to the EIC but is a report on the condition of an existing installation when an installation reaches the age indicated in the previous PIR or the installer’s EIC . This report consists of observations and recommendations following a visual inspection and the results of defined tests. A PIR can be issued by any suitably qualified or experienced person or contractor and must not be used to certify a new installation in the absence of an EIC. See below for more information.
    There is also a domestic installation version of a PIR.
  3. Part P” Certificate relates to the electrical section (part P) of building regulations and applies to domestic installations only. It certifies that any electrical installation work (with some minor exceptions) has been notified to the local authority’s building control department either directly of via scheme such as the NICEIC Domestic Installer Scheme for approved registered contractors. The certificate is issued by the domestic installer scheme on behalf of, or directly by building control and not the installing contractor. Part P certification It is a statutory requirement and is in addition to the EIC or its variants.
  4. Portable Appliance Testing” (PAT). Required by HSE and EWR to assess the electrical safety of appliances.
  5. Other electrical documentation include:

    • “Domestic Visual Condition Report”. Not applicable for commercial or industrial installations. Essentially a domestic PIR without testing. It is not generally recognised as a “certificate”. Lomax Electrical recommend that a PIR be carried out in preference to this.
    • “Electrical Danger Notification” is issued to inform the owner or person responsible for the building that an instance of significant danger was observed.
    • Fire Detection alarm system certificates and reports.
    • Emergency lighting certificates and reports.
    • Hazardous area certificates.
SOURCE: Lomaxelectrical

Premium Membership

Get access to premium HV/MV/LV technical articles, electrical engineering guides, research studies and much more! It helps you to shape up your technical skills in your everyday life as an electrical engineer.
More Information

Edvard Csanyi

Electrical engineer, programmer and founder of EEP. Highly specialized for design of LV/MV switchgears and LV high power busbar trunking (<6300A) in power substations, commercial buildings and industry facilities. Professional in AutoCAD programming.


  1. uduma kalu oji
    Dec 31, 2021

    I like the information in your portal, I want to be part of it
    Thank you

  2. power65
    Nov 01, 2013

    Dear All,

    I have another question.. We have in our facility a 3 winding transformer connected to 12-pulse VFD.The 12-pulse VFD is driving two AC motors(690KW,each;V=690VAC,Hz=50)

    Rated KVA=1950;Primary Voltage=11KV;Secondary Voltage:726;
    Primary Delta
    Secondary Winding (Delta),Z=6.14%
    Secondary Winding(Y),Z=6.34%

    I am planning to perform a short circulation using per unit method but i have not idea how to make the “impedance diagram”.Is this transformer series or parallel in the impedance diagram….CAN ANYONE HELP ME….

  3. Ajay Linge
    Apr 26, 2013

    Hi EEP,
    i am regular reader of your blogs.
    could you sent me the information of temprature rise test for transformer & their calculation.
    I like your “7 Golden Safety Rules for Working In HV Laboratory” & “Harmonic” Blogs

    thanks in advance.

  4. Edvard
    Dec 17, 2010

    It’s very imortant to follow all required rules when issuing certificate either for electrical works or LV/MV switchgear or panelboard.

  5. Aron Siddance
    Dec 17, 2010

    All tips are essential for me to make an electrical certificate. These will be useful for the people and also me.

  6. Contractor Perth
    Dec 02, 2010

    I mean it. You have so much knowledge about this issue, and so much passion. Waiting for next. Thanks :)

    • Edvard
      Dec 02, 2010

      Thank you very much! Hope EEP will be even better in the future!

Leave a Comment

Tell us what you're thinking. We care about your opinion! Please keep in mind that comments are moderated and rel="nofollow" is in use. So, please do not use a spammy keyword or a domain as your name, or it will be deleted. Let's have a professional and meaningful conversation instead. Thanks for dropping by!

Enter Captcha Here :

Learn How to Design Power Systems

Learn to design LV/MV/HV power systems through professional video courses. Lifetime access. Enjoy learning!

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our Weekly Digest newsletter and receive free updates on new technical articles, video courses and guides (PDF).
EEP Academy Courses - A hand crafted cutting-edge electrical engineering knowledge