Power efficiency in hospitals
Things are changing fast, really fast. Technology we used a few years ago is now obsolete, and if you take a look for a second – it’s always about power availability, efficiency, and safety. This technical article deals with Schneider Electric’s newest isolation power solutions that help panel builders to deliver the ultimate in power availability, operational efficiency, and safety in hospitals.
Schneider Electric is the number one provider of secure power distribution systems and components worldwide. We understand that the protection of people and the assurance of power availability in critical environments is vital. All isolated power solutions are engineered for patient safety and continuity of supply and ensure the efficiency of medical personnel.
Isolated power solutions provide essential, timely, and secure information about electrical system status and diagnostics to key staff, either on-site or remotely.
- Isolated Power Solutions
- Safe conditions in operating rooms
- Unplanned downtime of hospital
- Management of critical areas
- Supervision across your entire hospital
- More isolated power solutions and healthcare sector information and support
- Panel Builder Program and benefits
Codes and standards in virtually every nation require isolated, ungrounded electrical distribution systems for healthcare facilities and other specified structures. Isolated power solutions allow the early detection of hazardous current levels within critical systems in healthcare facilities — allowing systems to remain online and patients, staff, and infrastructure protected.
Specializing in isolated power solutions is a competitive advantage for panel builders, in addition to offering an outstanding opportunity to build new business. Schneider Electric’s mySchneider Panel Builders program gives you the expert technical know-how to provide cutting-edge solutions across a range of specialized industry segments. If you need professional healthcare help, you can download SE’s brochure for more details.
Isolate power solutions offer wide-ranging benefits, including the following:
1. Reduce electrical shock risk:
- IT Network with Isolated transformer and monitoring system
- TNS network with RCBO SI 30mA protection device
- 25V maximum indirect contact performance
2. Reinforce energy availability:
- IT Network including no overload tripping
- Total discrimination
- UPS sourcing + other sourcing including 30ms changeover
3. Support operational efficiency:
- Specific alarming messages according to stakeholder
- Insulation and Electrical Fault Location
- Condition-based maintenance and traceability – reports
4. Fully IEC standard compliance:
- All components and complete system are 100% IEC compliant
- EMC, Thermal, Noise performances type test performance
- Monthly and annual maintenance facilities
Our isolated power solutions are built on a flexible and scalable architecture that offers three monitoring levels, from insulation and electrical fault detection in the operating rooms to a complete monitoring solution.
A simple solution for insulation fault and isolation transformer monitoring and alarming (visible indicators and audible alarm) to medical staff in an operating room.
This is how classic solution functional units and components are physically organized by functions performed and designed to protect from direct contact:
Figure 1 – Classic solution functional units and components
The solution diagram of a classic isolated power solution includes equipment like Main LV Switchboard, Central UPS, Isolated Power Switchboard, etc., and Building Management Software (BMS), power Management Software AND Operating Room software.
Figure 2 – Isolated power solution – Classic (click to zoom)
In this solution, insulation monitoring and communications are performed by:
1.1 Vigilohm IM20-H Insulation Monitoring Device
This device monitors, logs events, and alarms when an insulation fault, IT transformer overload, or overheating event occurs. See Figure 3.
Figure 3 – Vigilohm IM20-H Insulation Monitoring Device
1.2 Link150 – Ethernet Gateway
This device enables an Isolated Power Supply Panel to connect to an Ethernet network to provide insulation fault, transformer overload, transformer overheating, and UPS status information to supervisory monitoring systems such as a Building Management or Power Management system.
See Figure 4.
Figure 4 – Link150 Ethernet gateway
Comprehensive solution providing electrical monitoring and alarm (visible indicators and audible alarm) with insulation fault location to medical staff working in an operating room and remotely to supervisors and maintenance personnel. See Figure 5.
Backed by EcoStruxure Power Management software, the solution captures historical electrical event information from all operating rooms for diagnostics, maintenance, traceability, and regulatory compliance.
Figure 5 – Isolated power solution – Advanced (click to zoom)
This solution includes the same devices as in the Classic solution with an addition of:
1. Vigilohm IFL12H Insulation Fault Locator
This little device works in conjunction with Insulation Monitoring Device (IMD) to determine the insulation integrity on each IT circuit. See Figure 6.
Figure 6 – Vigilohm IFL12H Insulation Fault Locator
2. Acti9 Smartlink
This neat device monitors circuit breaker status and makes it available to devices and software systems upstream (EcoStruxure Power Monitoring Expert software or BMS software).
A scalable electrical and environmental monitoring solution that extends beyond operating rooms. Leveraging EcoStruxure Building Operation and EcoStruxure Power Management software, this fully integrated solution provides information about how the critical infrastructure of the hospital is performing at all times.
The software has visibility across the entire electrical infrastructure and complete control of environmental conditions throughout the hospital.
Figure 7 – Isolated power solution – Full
This solution includes the same devices as in the Classic and Advanced solutions, with the addition of:
1. Automation Server
This device collects information from monitoring devices (via communications) and environmental and medical gas sensors (via I/O) and makes it available to software systems (EcoStruxure Building Operation & EcoStruxure Power Monitoring Expert) upstream.
Figure 8 – Automation Server
Ensuring power reliability and environmental control in an operating room is fundamental to staff safety and patient health. An isolated power panel solution from Schneider Electric enables medical personnel working in the operating room to monitor and control environmental and electrical conditions and take corrective actions if a problem occurs.
The Isolated Power Solution enables medical personnel working in the operating room to:
- Monitor and control operating room environmental conditions
- Conduct insulation monitoring system test at start-up
- Ensure supply power and electrical outlets in the operating room are safe to use
- Receive highly visible and audible alarms if there is an electrical or environmental problem in the operating room
- Take corrective action when an electrical or environmental problem arises
- Be notified of any work performed by maintenance personnel
Figure 9 – Typical isolated power panel operating room electrical distribution setup
Hospitals cannot afford unplanned downtime due to electrical or equipment failure. The Isolated Power Solution provides maintenance personnel the real-time and historical information they need to maintain the electrical and mechanical systems that serve all parts of the hospital, especially the operating rooms and intensive care units.
It is designed to:
- Notify immediately via email or text message if an electrical fault or environmental problem occurs
- Display real-time status of all Isolated Power Solution switchboards, Uninterruptible Power Supply units and IT medical outlets supplying power to the operating rooms
- Capture historical electrical information for traceability, diagnostics, maintenance planning and servicing
- Notify medical personnel of maintenance activities and status of electrical outlets in the operating rooms
Moving patients in and out of operating rooms and intensive care units is a crucial process requiring precision and the utmost attention to detail. In this dynamic environment, medical supervisors need to know what is going on in the OR’s and ICU’s at all times to be effective.
The Isolated Power Solution provides medical supervisors the visibility and control they need to:
- Manage environmental conditions across all OR’s and ICU’s
- Display real-time status of all Isolated Power Solution switchboards, Uninterruptible Power Supply units, and IT medical outlets supplying power to the operating rooms
- Notify immediately via email or text message if the electrical fault or environmental problem occurs
- Take corrective actions when an electrical or environmental problem arises
- Capture historical information for traceability and event reporting
- Be notified of any work performed by maintenance personnel
Figure 10 – Easy access to information concerning the electrical and environmental state of operating rooms (click to zoom)
Facility management is the backbone for reliable and efficient hospital operations. They are responsible for the electrical infrastructure and building systems that keep patients and staff safe and comfortable 24/7. They also play a large role in energy management and sustainability as hospitals strive to reduce their energy spend and decrease their carbon footprint.
As part of the Isolated Power Solution, facility managers use EcoStruxure Building Operation and EcoStruxure Power Management software to:
- Ensure power is safe and always available to serve the critical functions of the hospital and the electricity is clean and stable for power-sensitive equipment such as imaging and blood dialysis machines
- Control the environment (lighting, temperature, humidity, pressure, ventilation, and air quality) in all parts of the hospital, including public areas, staff areas, wards, labs, OR’s and ICU’s
- Use less energy and make informed decisions to lower operating expenses
Download the brochure to discover the full story about the ultimate in power availability, operational efficiency, and patient safety in hospitals, including our “Advanced and Full solutions“.
Visit the healthcare page to discover the full range of future-ready solutions for medical facilities.
Isolated power solutions for operating rooms are just one example of quality solutions that can win you more business and get your jobs done quickly and easily. The program empowers panel builders to specialize their skillset to beat their competition, drive profit and growth and simplify their life while developing their internal teams through digital interaction and innovations.
- Unleash your growth potential and stand out in the healthcare segment by distinguishing your business from the unspecialized competition.
- Discover how you can target new market segments with dedicated products for panel builders
- The award-winning mySchneider Panel Builder Program helps you work faster and smarter with cutting-edge products, software, and tools, tailored to you. Benefits include:
- Exclusive resources and tools
- Personalized support
- Promotions, training & events to build business
- Support and tools for a specialized skill set development
Panel builders can expand their portfolio, develop their knowledge, access online expertise, obtain valuable professional resources and helpful digital tools, and connect to exciting networking opportunities.
Learn more about what mySchneider Panel Builders Program offers today and watch the case study now.