This course will teach you the fundamentals of electrical transformers in terms of electromagnetism, voltage and current transformation, ratios, and polarity, potential and current transformers, 3-phase transformer construction, transformer classifications, losses, and cooling, per unit, etc.
Electromagnetic forces interact with electrically charged particles and electromagnetic fields; this course will study how these forces lead to voltage and current transformation. Ratios and polarity are also studied leading to the introduction of potential transformers & current transformers, and their use in conjunction with the relevant instruments such as ammeters, voltmeters, wattmeters, and energy meters.
Overcurrent and restraint differential transformer protection is explained in detail, along with a look at some examples of “Old School relays” as well as modern IEDs (intelligent Electrical Devices).
Transformer Connections: (Y–Y; Delta-Delta; Y-Delta; Delta-Y and Y-Zag Zig) are examined along with Transformer Clock System Vector Nomenclature. Oil Analysis and the Buchholz Relay are also studied.
- The Ideal Transformer
- The Real Transformer
- Instrument Transformers
- Three-Phase Power Transformers
- Transformer Clock System Vector Nomenclature
- Transformer Construction and Cooling
- Transformer Protection
- Transformer Relays
- The Final Exam With 24 Questions
Who Is This Course For
- Electrical Engineers
- Managers and Supervisors
- Electrical Engineering Students
Basic Electrical Mathematics, Trigonometry
Downloadable course materials
After purchasing the course, students can download the following guides and papers:
- Transformers and equipment in underground distribution systems (PDF)
- The basics of power transformers in transmission and distribution grids (PDF)
- Current and Voltage Instrument Transformers – Technical and Application Guide (PDF)
- Construction and Maintenance of High Voltage Power Transformers For Students (PDF)
- Distribution transformers analysis and maintenance practices (PDF)
- Protection Of MV/LV Substation Transformers (PDF)
- Protection of HV Transformers (PDF)