This course will teach you how to wire and set frequency converter parameters in both open and closed loop applications. The course starts with the introduction to variable frequency drives and evolution in the last few decades. The course covers wiring diagrams of many different open-loop applications you can see in the real-life world. Without any knowledge of frequency converters, you will be able to read & draw a wiring diagram, connect and set the frequency converter into operation.
The course covers closed loop applications as well. PID theory and practice as fundamental parts of automation are explained in detail.
In this part we will cover the evolution of frequency converters. From simple motor speed changing to complex automation devices. There will be word about construction of the drive, selecting of the drive and description of automation logic inside the drive.
2. Wiring and Parameter Setting of Variable Frequency Drives
In this lesson we will cover wiring diagrams of many different open loop applications. Without any knowledge of frequency converters you will be able to draw a wiring diagram, connect and set frequency converter into operation. Parameter settings will be explained using MCT10 drive setup tool. Every new wiring diagram we show will be modified in many different options during the session.
You will be inspired to create your own diagrams and solutions instead of copying existing ones.
3. Closed-Loop Applications for Drives
In this chapter we will cover close loop applications. First we will try to cover PID theory and practice as basic parts of automation. First real life application will be an air handling unit. Air handling units will be described in detail together with the role of the drives and control principle. Then we will move to wiring diagrams of the drives on every position with optional control methods. Next application that will be covered in detail is the pump system.
4. VFD Heavy-Duty Applications: Crane
In this chapter we will cover crane as the typical example of heavy duty applications. New elements into drives operation like brake resistors, encoders, mechanical brakes, limit switches will be added into wiring. There will be word about the energy flow during hoisting and challenges in real life.
Crane hoisting, traveling and crane trolley are three applications that wiring diagrams should be covered. The same as before you will be inspired to modify the solution yourself.
The course will go into detail for the following key topics:
- Construction of the variable frequency drive
- Real life application of VFD – Air-handling unit
- Selecting of the drive and automation logic
- Real life application of VFD – Pump system
- Wiring diagrams of different open-loop applications
- Wiring diagrams of different close-loop applications
- PID theory and practice as basic parts of automation
- VFD heavy-duty applications of crane: Crane hoisting, traveling and crane trolley
- Wiring and Parameter Setting of VFDs
- Closed-Loop Applications
- Heavy-Duty Applications: Crane
Who Is This Course For
- Electrical Engineering Undergraduates
- Electrical Engineering Graduates
- Industrial automation engineers
- Anyone interested in variable frequency drives
- Knowledge of basic electrical principles
- A basic understanding of variable frequency drives
Downloadable course materials
After purchasing the course, students can download the following documents and tools:
- BIM files (ZIP)
- Catalog Altivar Process ATV600 variable speed drives (PDF)
- Eplan files (ZIP)
- VLT HVAC Drive Applications (PDF)
- From Real-World Applications_eng (PDF)
- Danfoss ACAD (DWG)
- Drawing VFD Schematics (DWG)
- Guidance For Using Variable Speed Drive (VSD) In Irrigation Pumping (PDF)
- Variable Speed Drives – Guide To Energy Savings (PDF)
- Variable speed pumping – A good guide to successful applications (PDF)
- Using variable speed drives (VSDs) in pump applications (PDF)
- Guide to Variable Speed Drives (PDF)