Design Course for Busbar Protection Schemes in HV Substations

Learn how substation buses operate and how to implement different protective elements for their protection. Learn to design robust protection schemes to protect these components from faults and abnormal operating conditions. 2h 27m total course length.

Course Description

Power system protection and control ensures the reliable continuous operation of power systems and is, therefore, an important area of power engineering. In this course, you will learn about the principles of busbar protection and the different protective elements used to protect substation buses.

By understanding how substation buses operate and how to implement different protective elements for their protection, you will be able to design robust protection schemes to protect these components from faults and abnormal operating conditions.

We will begin the course by giving a brief review of the different types of substation bus arrangements typically found in power systems to understand why and how to protect them from faults and abnormal operating conditions.

In a significant amount of detail, we will then discuss all the protective elements used in the industry to protect substation buses. These include current differential (87) and high-impedance voltage differential (87V). The course ends with explaining how an SEL-487B protective relay can be used for the protection of a substation bus.

Course Overview

1. Protection of substation buses
  2. Use of different protective elements for substation bus protection, such as current differential (87) and high-impedance voltage differential (87V)
  3. How to use the SEL-487B protective relay for protecting substation buses

Who Is This Course For

• Practicing power system engineers
  • Electrical engineering students planning on pursuing a career in power engineering
  • Anybody with an interest in learning about power systems and power engineering

Requirements

• Understanding of power system analysis

Downloadable course materials

After purchasing the course, students can download the following documents:

1. Busbar Protection Course Outline (PDF)
  2. Example of Bus Arrangements (PDF)
  3. Example of Single-Line and Three-line Diagram (PDF)
  4. Project Resources - SEL-487B Protection Relay (ZIP)

About Instructor

Ricardo Romero, PE

Hi, my name is Ricardo Romero and I am an Electrical Engineer with over ten years of experience in Power Systems. I obtained my Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Electrical Engineering from The University of North Carolina at Charlotte. I am also a licensed Professional Engineer in Power Systems in the states of Arizona, Louisiana, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Virginia in the United States. Although my professional experience is mainly in Power Systems, I am also passionate about other topics in Electrical Engineering including Analog Electronics, Control Systems, Digital Design, Digital Signal Processing, Electric Machinery, and Power Electronics.

13 Courses

+27 enrolled
Not Enrolled

Course Includes

• 2 Lessons
  • 9 Topics
  • 1 Quiz
  • Course Certificate
  • Lifetime Access