Transformers In Electrical Networks: Design, Applications, Protection, Testing and Diagnostics

Learn all kinds of transformer you can find in various electrical networks, their design, where they are applied, how they are protected, and how to test and perform diagnostics. The course consists of 17 lessons and 163 topics. It takes 26 hours and 18 minutes in total duration.

Course Description

In this masterclass, you will learn everything there is to know about electrical power transformers, beginning with the operation, theory, and design of three phase transformers. From there, you will learn about the various types of transformers and their applications in the electric network. The course will conclude with a comprehensive study on transformer protection, testing, and commissioning.

As a result, the objective of this course is to teach you all you need to know to become an expert in the field of electric power transformer engineering.

The course consists of 17 lessons and 163 topics. It takes 26 hours and 18 minutes in total duration.

The course is organized in the following manner:

Firstly, the course provides a comprehensive introduction to the theory and functioning of transformers (theory of operation, phasor diagram, etc.). The evaluation of transformer performance will be the subject of the following Section 3, which will cover subtopics such as transformer losses (hysteresis losses, eddy current), regulation and efficiency.

Construction, types, and connections of three-phase transformers, per phase, per unit analysis, and vector groups is covered in Section 4.

After that, in Section 5, you will acquire knowledge regarding the manufacturing and construction of power transformers, including an explanation of each transformer component. Section 6 covers different factors that affect the transformer operation (temperature rise, loading, harmonics, inrush current, etc.).

A complete study of different types of transformers and their applications in power systems is covered in Section 7. Section 8 is dedicated to transformer protection, where you will learn how to identify different transformer faults and provide a suitable protection device for this type of fault.

In Section 9, you will learn about transformer testing, commissioning, and diagnostics, where we will perform routine, type, and special tests on power transformers to ensure the healthiness of the transformer before its energization on the site. Tests such as insulation resistance (IR), tan delta, partial discharge, Hi-Pot, Induced and impulse voltage tests and others are covered in detail.

Finally, complete MATLAB simulations are performed on single-phase and 3-phase electrical transformers.

Course Summary:

1. Introduction and Download Materials
  2. Transformer Theory
  3. Transformer Performance
  4. Three-Phase Transformers
  5. Transformer Construction
  6. Factors Affecting Transformer Operation
  7. Power and Distribution Transformers
  8. Current Transformers (CTs)
  9. Voltage Transformers (VTs)
  10. Auto Transformers
  11. Special Transformer Types
  12. Transformer Protection
  13. Tests on Transformer Insulation
  14. Tests on Transformer Oil
  15. Tests for Transformer Parameters
  16. MATLAB Simulink Projects on Single-Phase Transformer
  17. MATLAB Simulink Projects on Three-Phase Transformer

Who Is This Course For:

• Substation engineers
  • Practicing power system engineers
  • Maintenance staff
  • Electrical engineering students planning on pursuing a career in power engineering
  • Power system protection engineers

Requirements:

• The basics of power systems
  • Knowledge of basic substation terms
  • Understanding the basic relay protection terminology and principles
  • Passion and patience for learning.

Downloadable course materials

After purchasing the course, students can download the following related documents:

1. Electrical Transformers E-Book (PDF)
  2. MATLAB Simulink Projects on Single-Phase Transformer (SLX)
  3. MATLAB Simulink Projects on Three-Phase Transformer (SLX)
  4. Distribution transformer guide: Installation, commissioning, operation and maintenance hints (PDF)
  5. Best practice guide for power transformer maintenance (PDF)
  6. The basics of power transformers in electrical T&D grids (PDF)
  7. The basics of power transformer: Theory, operation, testing and protection (PDF)

Course Content

Expand All

About Instructor

Amr Saleh

I'm an Electrical Power and Machines Engineering Teaching Assistant at Ain Shams University. Throughout my career, I have taught many courses related to different topics of electrical power engineering, including Power Systems, Power Electronics, Electric Machines, High Voltage and Electric controls and protection. I gained knowledge in these areas of Electrical Engineering during my undergraduate studies and my Masters's degree, as well as during my professional career.

5 Courses

+38 enrolled
Not Enrolled

Course Includes

• 17 Lessons
  • 164 Topics
  • Course Certificate
  • Lifetime Access